2018/08/06

[影集] 本能 Instinct

本能101
I'm going to the restroom. Be right back.
(low, indistinct chatter)
Pulp.
Dressed to Kill (片名)剃刀邊緣
Sorry, I don't do needles. 我不注射藥品
This doesn't go into your vein. It's like a B12 shot, only much, much better.
(gasps, shudders)
(exhales)
First one's on me. 第一次算我請的
I'm not much for religion, Dino ...
(high-pitched grunt)
Abnormal Behavioral Analysis, more commonly referred to
as Intro to Psychopaths.
psychopath n.精神病患
Abnormal Behavioral Analysis異常行為分析
Can I have a volunteer?
(bell tolling)
Smiley face emoji.
Would that change anything?
What if I was to give Edward this bag ... filled with a million dollars ... and said he could keep it if he hits me.
Smack him. 揍他
If he doesn't do it, I will.
It's context-driven, meaning, depending on the circumstances, we can be motivated to do almost anything.
Normal behavior, therefore, is when we collectively decide that the circumstances justify the behavior.
Abnormal behavior is when we don't.
But can we really judge behavior simply on the behavior itself?
Aren't we all ... capable of behaving abnormally?
While I may not be up on all the laws in Pennsylvania, I'm pretty sure punching a student isn't legal.
be up on 精通熟悉
To have the most current knowledge about a particular subject or issue; to be up to date on (something).

Given that you're a detective, you should have figured that out.
The "I don't care how I look" pantsuit, the humdrum flats, the almost total absence of makeup, and the slight dip in your posture favoring your right side, probably due to the SIG P226 holstered to your hip.
pantsuit n.女生褲裝
humdrum adj.單調的平凡的
dip n.浸泡,下沉
holster n.手槍皮套
holstered (當動詞用)被插在槍套裡的

Must have Photoshopped it. A lot.
Penn undergrad.
undergrad n.大學生(=undergraduate)

PhD in psychology, Stanford.
Three-year research fellowship,
University of Cambridge.
Then another PhD, this time from MIT, statistics.
fellowship n.夥伴關係

(groans)

Does my looking into your background bother you?
all the telltale signs of a drug OD.

"Self-inflicted" may have been the report
inflict vt.強加;使遭受(損傷等)

were it not for a playing card by his foot.
The jack of diamonds.方塊11
it may be a random killing,
I have a feeling there'll be more murders. Which is why I'm here.
Homicide Division重案組
homicide n.殺人
criminal psychopathology犯罪心理學
Professor Psychopath

While I may have a fascination with psychopaths, it does not mean I am one.
fascination n.迷戀
Judging by the way you eat your pizza, I'm not so sure.
Using a fork and knife slows the process down and allows you to focus more on the pizza itself.
Inside of your book, there was also a bookmark.
Ah, the Master of High Knowledge Card.
In cartomancy,
 the king of clubs is said to be one who has great power but one who is not aware of this.
cartomancy n.紙牌占卜

Gambling was the central motif.
The compulsion for risk versus the need for control, two competing ideas which serial killers and psychopaths share with us all.
compulsion n.被迫

We're hoping your expertise can help us figure out who the killer is and how your book connects before anyone else gets hurt, including you.
Restauranteur?
關於這個字的意思請見這裡

Where's the pizzazz?
pizzazz n. 活潑的魅力(= pizazz)

Malcolm Gladwell.
tweed jacket guy
tweed n.(粗)花呢套裝

That's great news! Not the "dead kid" part ... The part where you're gonna do something to help get your mojo back.
mojo n.魔力;護身符

I know you signed a two-book deal, 
which is technically more
binding than a spousal promise.
binding adj.有約束力的,必須遵守的

And is there anybody that you can think of who may have held a grudge?
grudge n.怨恨;嫌隙;妒忌

He's working with me on the case.
We're considering all possibilities as we await the toxicology report.
toxicology n.毒物學
grunt v.咕噥,嘀咕著說
Detective Needham and I agree to disagree.
am I right in assuming your son didn't just patronize White Lines, but many other clubs?
All the clubs courted Dino. He was treated like royalty.
From now on, you don't float your theories to anyone but me. Got it?
Expect a signed copy for Christmas.
I have a bad history with partners.
Meaning...?
he tried to stick his tongue down my throat.
If I told you that, I wouldn't be intriguing.
You quit a corporate law firm to open your own bar for Hawaiian night?
Whatever. The place is packed. Shut up.
So it is. What do I know?
Humdrum life of academia.
Do not have an existential crisis on Hawaiian night.
Give me time.
(exhales)
(phone buzzes)
(siren whooping)
you have to really dislike someone to stab them this many times.
Condon ran a Ponzi scheme.
Some business based on a spiritual quest.
When two diamonds
are placed together 
to form a shape
of an hourglass,
the resulting symbol
can be identified as a depiction of enlightenment and ultimate truth.
to unravel the mystery.
on my day's bucket list.
(scoffs)
Despite my promotion, 
we're friends,
smug
You don't get to pick the partner you want.
but if you can't bounce back
in your personal life,
nothing would please me more.
at a loss for words?
medical examiner
said that
other then the needle mark in Dino's arm,
the only unusual thing he found
was a minor contusion in his left eye.
the OD was administered.
Uh, when heroin addicts 
run out of veins,
they sometimes inject the needle into
their eye for a hit.
we're one step closer to solving the case
the M.E.
Yes, Your Honor.
Lizzie, go do what you do.
What is it about floating theories you don't understand?
Uh, the kid's eye contusion was caused by an injection into the soft tissue of the eye socket.
...died from multiple stab wounds.
Way too many to count.

352. That's how many
dimples there are in a Titleist Pro V-1 golf ball.
4,608... that's the number of words in the U.S. Constitution.

Seven and a half million...
That's how many Americans are currently out of work.
Care to add one to that number?
a phonographic memory.
You mean "photographic."
When I read something, it stays in my mind,
but I don't see it, I hear it.
Growing up I was a prodigy on the piano.
I have perfect pitch.絕對音感
I can tell if you blow your nose in "G," or the wind whistles in "D."


52, like a deck of cards.
He's deliberate, brutal...fascinating.
and a lot more carnage if we're not careful.
Every worthwhile serial killer has a nickname. (sniffs)
I couldn't care less what we call him, as long as we catch him

So, Dino
they're usually the people
who get hit the hardest
when real life
comes crashing down
on their ideals, so...
randomly or very, very carefully.
If the victims
are unrelated,
it becomes more about
the act itself, killing.
If the victims are
related, it becomes...
BOTH:
More about the result, death.
If the victims are being judged,
you have to ask yourself,
why does the killer
pick these victims?
What flips the switch from
having feelings about people
to murdering them?
I just didn't want to inflate your ego any more, but now I see
that's not possible, so... Go on, say something snarky.


Which one is she?
Ah, the one
who's six foot, with stubble, and a man.
sniffles
How is it you can deduce that, but not that I'm gay?
As the prosecutor, do you know if anyone Condon scammed ever threatened his life?
Some generic hate mail, but nothing specific

and nothing we felt needed further investigation.
If it was pretty clear Condon was guilty of fraud, why
was he let off?
by-the-book guys.
He used some arcane interpretation of the law to clear Condon.
an upper-echelon crook.
My personal opinion doesn't matter. That's not why I'm here.
Didn't even know it was there.
I've always found that term
a bit redundant.
you've got Millard in five minutes and then the hearing
for People v. Barbaro.
This is my way of saying it's time for you both to go.
I'd forget to eat lunch without Dan.
No known people who'd want to hurt him, a grieving wife.
It may not be revenge, which means
we may not have our connection with Dino
and even less of an idea of how to pinpoint the two of hearts.
I want to go see a friend 
who may be able to help.
He works undercover.
Um, I'm a cop.
Um, he isn't.
So-so you get to come everywhere with me,
but I can't go with you?
You just go do what you do.
(door buzzer sounds)
(chuckles)
So academicy.
Why does that sound like an insult?
'Cause it is.
You think it's someone who found out you're CIA?
Potato, potahto. Don't make it personal.

I'm just saying it's possible.
Because he used a theme from your book?
Motif.
Maybe he's a fan
of your writing.
Whatever.
Maybe when your case is over, you'll return to your calling.
World's gotten scarier
since you left.
I'll take whatever
you can get on the victims.
It's a shame.
You were the best operative
I ever worked with.
Oh, I bet you say that
to all your old colleagues.
Integrity, loyalty,
(siren whooping,
helicopter blades whirring)
(overlapping chatter)
Nobody comes or goes.
Canvass the building.盤查整棟大樓
Room service waiter
discovered them.
They were shot at point-blank range.
point-blank adj.近距離平射的;直射的;斷然的;直截了當的
(garbled radio transmission)
He forced them into this position.
The blood spatter suggests they were in bed.

Aha. Well, he's enjoying
himself, as demonstrated
by the playing card lodged...
Of all places...
Between Mrs. Smith's,
uh... cheeks.
Glad I'm not bagging it.
Mother of higher love, powerful, successful.
the antagonist
antagonist 
n.[C]敵手,對手;對立者,反對者
foul-tempered adj.易怒的愛發脾氣的
(groans loudly)
(groaning)
That was my last partner, aka the Wandering Tongue.
(scoffs)

I'd love to see how you treat
someone who can't stand you.
Well, it appears our
innocent young Dino
got himself pulled in
for dealing drugs.
Dino got let off.
Don't think I didn't notice you evading my question about your friend.
(indistinct chatter)

Nobody move!
Shooter's on the mezzanine.
mezzanine 樓中樓,夾層
Where's your surveillance footage?
rendezvous spot
And how's that working out for your clients?
So we're really sticking with the Dealer?
It's descriptive and short.
So is the perp, writer.
There's one thing that jumps out they all have in common.
They're all law-breakers, criminals, douches.
If that's his beef, he'll have to kill half of New York.
Keith Millard, aka Mr. Smith, arrested seven years ago for 
driving while intoxicated.
Jennifer Scott, aka Mrs. Smith, arrested for child endangerment.
You can't access sealed documents?
These court documents are privileged.
Yeah, so is my friend, who just sent over these.
I'm finally starting to realize why you're so intriguing.
You're not just some boring old professor.
You're... FBI? CIA?
Door number two.
And paramilitary.
Dino Moretti, arrested age 16 for selling dope.
The day before his trial, the charges were expunged and the record sealed.
All arrested, none convicted.
And not because they were necessarily innocent.
Condon and the Smiths' cases
involved technicalities or loopholes their lawyers exploited.
Check and see if Brooks presided over those other cases.
Maybe the judge knows
more than he's telling us.
Needless to say, I'm distressed
to learn that I'm the link.
But I would not change
even one of my rulings.
The law can't protect
the innocent
without sometimes helping
the guilty.
So you believe
all the victims were guilty
even though
you made trial decisions
that helped them go free.
I make trial decisions
based on the law,
not what my gut tells me.
Nothing I do on the bench
is personal.
Uh, someone out there
disagrees with you.
And he or she
is taking it personally.
Then I hope for all our sakes
that you catch him...
expeditiously.
Does the queen of hearts
ring any bells
regarding a past case?
I once had a man who thought
he was the prince of Wales.
Otherwise I have not
had any royalty before me.
I will give it thought.
Elliot? Queen of hearts.
Anyone come to mind?
No, sir.
But I can ask Dan to print up
summaries of all your cases.
Much appreciated.
Be prepared.
This might take a while.
So, who's the queen of hearts?
The writer of a romance novel?
Prostitute?
Drag queen?
Any chance it's you?
First of all, why would
my saying "drag queen"
lead you to me?
And second, I don't get treated
like a queen,
and my colleagues don't think
I have a heart, so no.
If you don't get
treated like a queen,
then why are you with Gary?
Yeah, you're right.
None of my business.
I'm sure he's a wonderful guy.
One question, though.
Will Gary mind that you're
out to such a fancy meal
with another man?
Is Gary bigger than me?
That's two questions.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't
mean to upset you.
Did you guys have a
fight or something?
Mm.
Gary's not my boyfriend.
He's my dog,
and I have to put him down.
I know it's stupid and crazy
for me to be sitting here,
crying about this
given what we're dealing with
at work.
No, no, no, no. I've had dogs.
When they die,
it's heartbreaking.
Charlie and I rescued him.
My old partner and my fiancé.
He was shot and killed
in the line of duty a year ago.
I'm sorry.
Gary's all I have left
of him, and...
I don't want him to disappear.
It's not fair.
It's...
it's like every day
my heart is growing colder.
I don't mean to unload on you.
No, no. It's-it's okay.
Heart.
You're mourning.
Just give it time.
No.
There's a doctor
Brooks had in his court,
a famous cardiologist.
Charged with vehicular
manslaughter
and found not guilty.
Brooks disallowed
the testimony
of the key witness
for the prosecution
due to some absurd precedent
brought by the defense.
She's got to be
our queen of hearts.
Get someone over to the home
of Dr. Caitlyn Glenroy.
8 East 72nd Street. Now.
Hey.
Ah. Victim's deceased.
He must have shocked her with
the paddles. It's pretty bad.
We must have just missed him.
Which playing card
did he leave?
Uh, there isn't one.
(gasps faintly)
I thought you said
she was dead.
She looked dead.
I-I didn't want to touch her.
No, she's still warm. No pulse.
The shock from the defib
must have knocked her out,
but it didn't kill her.
Not yet.
Tom, the paramedics. Now.
LIZZIE:
You think the Dealer screwed up?
DYLAN:
No, he thought she was dead.
He had no idea we'd
get here this fast.
But why no card?
Is he done?
Has his plan changed?
(phone buzzes)
Brooks' clerks check out.
No priors.
One, two, three.
Joker.
The court jester.
(gasps) He's after Judge Brooks.
Come on.
Everything all right?
Judge hasn't left
the premises.
Is anyone in there?
Just the judge
and his wife.
(shakes door handle)
What are you doing?
You wanted a gun?
Oh, it's okay. I got one.
Do you plan on just watching?
(panting)
Oh, I was afraid kicking
down the door for you
would be disempowering.
Look, we can do it
together, okay?
Ready, on three?
One, two, three.
Are you okay?
I should be asking you that.
Are your clerks here?
Why would they be here?
They're usually
still at the office.
Hardest working clerks
I've ever had.
Court clerks.
The court jester.
Apologies, Your Honor.
Yeah.
Elliot, are you okay?
You're right on time.
Dr. Reinhart,
I thought it would be fitting
for you to witness
the final part
of the idea you helped inspire.
But first, uh...
please put the guns down.
Guns down!
Or I swear I'll kill him.
Okay, Dan.
From one freak
to another, I get it.
If I were you,
I probably would have shot him
through the heart by now.
All those years. Endless hours.
All the hard work you put in
to help bring justice,
and now you think
this guy just undid it all.
Maybe he doesn't
deserve to live.
I know what you're feeling.
Gratitude.
Yes, I was outraged
by the victims' verdicts, but...
reading your book
made me realize
I could do something about it.
And you have.
And now it can end.
Elliot didn't do anything.
Elliot did the legwork
for Judge Brooks
to find those obscure cases.
The shady loopholes
and precedents
to get the criminals off.
Dan, I was just
Hey.
Doing my job.
Please.
A collaborator's
favorite excuse.
Doesn't make you any less guilty
than Dino, Condon, any of them.
But he wasn't in control of it,
unlike the criminals...
and you.
We're all capable
of behaving abnormally.
You've restored what is right.
Those who deserve
to be punished have been,
and justice has been done.
But if you kill Elliot
right now,
you are as guilty
as they are.
You're better than them.
Give me the gun.
No!
(strained breathing)
Hold on, Lizzie.
You okay? Dial 911.
Tell them 10-13.
Do it now.
Cuff that guy.
Hang in there, Lizzie.
Come on, come on.
(handcuffs click)
Come on.
(strained breathing)
Okay, come on.
Okay, when you lay there,
just stay with me, Lizzie.
Stay with me.
She took a bullet to the chest.
She's having trouble breathing.
It could be
a tension pneumothorax.
You got it.
(speaks indistinctly)
(siren wailing)

Hey.
Well, you look terrible.
Expecting "I don't care
how I look" pantsuit
and humdrum flats?
Come in.
Thanks.
So, how are you holding up?
It was a through and
through. I'm fine.
Just a little sore.
Well, a lot sore.
But I wasn't gonna leave
Gary alone any longer.
Oh.
Hey, Gary. (chuckles)
(Gary whines)
Thank you. You saved my life.
You were brave.
Stupid but brave.
That's what I want
on my tombstone.
You nearly got it.
Oh, no, those are for you.
It's like you didn't mind
getting killed,
like you-you didn't care.
(groans)
Spare me the psychobabble.
How's Dan the Dealer?
(chuckles):
He asked for an autograph.
(laughing):
Oh, my God. I know,
it's not... I'm sorry.
At least you're having an impact
on your readers.
Isn't that what
every writer wants?
Stop it. Now.
Do you want some?
Uh, I'm-I'm trying
to lay off the carbs.
Ah.
Hmm.
You know,
I haven't trusted
anyone since Charlie.
So... if the teaching thing
gets boring,
maybe you want to, you know...
I could use a partner
in any form I can get.
Maybe you should have been
a cop.
(sighs) I should have been
a lot of things.
There's still time.
This might be
the perfect opportunity.
Those that can't do and all.
I have a deadline
for my next book,
and I need some new ideas
because apparently my old ones
lack pizzazz and heart.
You're not gonna
believe this.
They fished a body
out of the Hudson last night,
and its heart was missing.
(chuckles)

沒有留言:

張貼留言